Thursday 4 March 2010

There's rain a-comin'

We are expecting rain and temperatures are slowly dropping, so I thought I should get some bloom photos in before they pack themselves away for winter. These are some of my treasured & unusual plants at our farm garden.


Stunning Josephine's Lily (Brunsvigia josephinae), a rare beauty given to me by a gardening friend. I wrote about the wonder of this bulb when it flowered for the first time last year (see this post).


Delicate red spider lilies, bulbs pinched from my Mum's garden when she wasn't looking!


A rose with a long history, 'Monsieur Tillier', being first introduced in France in 1891. It is in its glory in autumn.


My Ox Tongue Lily (Haemanthus coccineus) is blooming for the very first time, and was given to me by the same gardening friend as the Josephine Lily. It is the funniest little plant. I thought it was dead, then suddenly it sends up this amazing bloom from nowhere. After flowering, two broad leathery leaves appear, growing opposite each other and flat on the ground, which look like long ox tongues - cool! I love garden oddities!

I hope for those of you emerging from the Northern Hemisphere winter, that there are glimpses of colour appearing in your world as spring approaches. And for us Downunder, we will enjoy our beautiful cool autumn weather and time in the garden.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the lovely flowers. Hopefully it will not be too long until we start to see ours. Still lots of snow on the ground here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these very beautiful pictures. Forsythia are are ready to open and golden the gardens.

    Have a good day.
    Françoise from France

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember how jealous I was of you (I'm in the Midwest of the USA) when your flowers were just blooming! It's a little weird to feel sorry for you now. LOL

    Our spring hasn't announced itself yet, but it's on the way!

    I've enjoyed all the pictures you've shared with us through the season. They're made me smile and helped me not be so flower deprived!

    Thanks so much and think warm thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful flowers! Thanks for sharing the photos.

    I live in Canada (Vancouver) and we are seeing an early spring with lots of lovely cherry trees in bloom! Now I should start thinking about planting some summer flowering bulbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep I am off to garden for the morning too, autumn is a rather nice time of year, but I have so enjoyed summer. All 4 seasons have their moments

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous as usual..........think we will still get some warm weather here for a bit but it is raining nicely now........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing these photos - brightens my day!! It is refreshing to know spring for us will be here. Our winter has been LONG this year - we have had snow on the ground for almost 90 days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad I read (view) your blog because the photos of the flowers always just make my day! Thank you! Again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing, the photos are lovely. I will be getting a small sample of spring this weekend, going to the Phila Flower Show. Cannot wait. As always your photos are very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful flower pics! My daffodils have just barely broken through the surface of the ground. So nice to look at your pics as a "preview" of what I have to look forward to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi last year I left a comment on your blog congratulating you on the beautiful bloom on your 'Brunsvigia josephinae' also letting you know that what you have is most certainly a hybrid between B. josephinae with Amaryllis belladona.

    Just wanted to remind you that it is indeed a hybrid (a very lovely one).

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's lots of nice days to come yet before winter, the flowers are still lovely in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for these very beautiful pictures. Forsythia are are ready to open and golden the gardens.
    home based data entry

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips